Monday 14 June 2010

...in which she goes to a barbie queue..

....and takes her own bean burgers to griddle.  Not that I mind at all, and it just goes to show that Veggies can be rehabilitated into community events - they don't have to be locked away in special areas where they are out of danger to themselves or others.  I was welcomed to the Town Football Club (Juniors) Barbie Queue and made to feel very comfortable.  I am starting to not mind being the Token Veggie in Office (so to speak) and I think it is a triumph for Care in the Community that I am given freedom to wander amongst normal carnivorous folk without fear of attack or reprisal.

The spawn played 5-a-side football matches in 'civil war' style, against their own teams and the families watched and chatted on the sidelines.... all was well, until it came time for Dads Vs Lads Match - now since himself indoors had, as predicted, managed a 'no show' (due to his continued pursuance of the Road Less Travelled, whereby he systematically shuns all social and human contact  in order to further his spiritual development ) I, rather rashly, as it - obviously - turns out, decided to step up to the plate and play in his absence.  Laughing off the Coaches suggestion that I play on the sidelines, I instead took the position of "midfielder".  I ran about gamely for a while and attempted to get the ball from various determined (and non-puffed out) 11 and 12 year olds  who inexplicably and rather unfairly I decided kept kicking the ball to the side wherever I approached  - it was all going swimmingly until suddenly the ball did come my way and and and..... I bent down and picked it up.  After the obligatory stunned silence the cry of "Hand Ball" went up followed by "Penalty" - Sheepishly I wandered down to my new position out of danger to the opposing goal.  It was then decided in a further twist of the knife that it should be my child that took the penalty (and therefore miss).  I spotted my own father in the crowd with his head in his hands....

Still, and all, it was a good day and should be filed under "Days Out with Spawn where they had less than 10 Reasons to be Mortified by Their Mother".   As Oldest Spawn would no doubt remark, that makes it a rare and memorable day.

1 comment: