Thursday 13 May 2010

On Not Eating Animals....

I feel I may have to say a few words on this subject - but where to start?   I have always veered towards the not eating things with a face - however I have cleverly and hypocritically ignored my inner voice for years.  Having found myself eating less and less meat because my partner and gradually all three children decided against it - I suppose it was self preservation, I got fed up with making separate meals for everyone.

Then there was The Book - "Eating Animals by Jonathon Safran Foer and suddenly there is no way back for me.  I am not going to get evangelical about it but - read the book if you want and make your own way.  Let's just say for me, personally, I don't want any part of it. Anymore. (at the moment.!)

However, Joy!  I have found that becoming Vegetarian has had bonus and knock on effects that I am really pleased with.  Not least the fact that my digestive system seems to be working properly for the first time in years!  (Enough of that!) 

I have to be honest here and say once I fully embraced the fact that I was not going to eat animals  I really did have to do something about the meals that we (now I) were eating as a family.  It's not that I miss Meat per se, but I find that a lot of veggie dishes lack flavour and texture.  This was probably because I was only doing the easy recipes and repeating them all the time.  I would never put myself forward as a great cook - not even as a mediocre one if truth be told.

I do however, love food and love eating.  So, it's a journey then.... are you sitting comfortably?  Lets begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment