Monday 2 July 2012

Post Haste

I no longer know or indeed care whether anyone reads these ramblings or not.  I would rather it was not...  I try to stagger on but find myself more and more stagnant tepid and probably smelling of biscuits.

I wrote the above sad sentence over a year ago, I found it lurking in the "draft" section of this Blog, it is true that I have not written anything on here for about that long, where was I when I wrote the above?  I actually do know, I remember only too well, but for the sake of sanity I have decided to draw a veil over the intervening 12 months or so.  Suffice to say, that I am still here, some others didnt make it.  I miss them and wish they could have stayed longer.

In any event, life goes on, I have noticed that about life.  It continues.  Whatever happens in the meantime, which is always a surprise.  Him indoors often says that I am a natural pessimist.  A "Glass half empty" attitude, whereas he is a "Glass half full" - I don't understand this metaphor, surely they are the same amount of full.  Besides, I am neither, I just drink the whole bloody glass and look for a refill.  What?  It is the only sensible thing to do in the circumstances!

It has been over a year since Him Indoors, became Him Indoors.  Before he was made redundant (for the third time in as many years!) I suppose he was Him At Work.  Job Seeking seems to be a job in itself.  I can only imagine the hopelessness of younger people looking for their first job, particularly if they have been unemployed for a long time, there are kids now who are never going to be able to get a job.  People are institutionalised so quickly when they are unemployed.  It is bad enough for the middle aged, our generation at least has known employment, full employment for the most part.  I remember getting a job in the morning and walking out at lunchtime to find another job because I didn't like the atmosphere or, the boss or something. And, here's the thing, I almost always got another job by the time lunchbreak was over.  I am sure that was not just my experience either.

Get this, I actually went to an INTERVIEW recently, the advert said that they wanted - get this.... A GRADUATE (tick) someone with a BUSINESS DIPLOMA (tick) someone who could TYPE AT SPEED  (tick) someone who was presentable and intelligent with English A Level  (tick (ish) ) etc etc etc.... The "JOB" was data input.  DATA INPUT !!!  It was minimum wage and in a freezing cold warehouse.  I WANTED  THE JOB!!!!!    I got an interview and KNEW almost instantly that I would not be offered this job... I knew I didn't CLICK!   This is what it has come to.  The advert was in the paper again this week, oh my life - I am now "Previous Applicants Need Not Apply".  The shame!

Oh well, life goes on and all that.  Now you need to be a High Achieving Graduate with Business and Typing and computer skills for Data Entry - I shall need to brush up on my ability to suppress my disbelieving stares and mug up on my sycophantic fitting in skills.  Joy.

2 comments:

  1. oh dear... firstly, yes we read it here down Belleau Cottage way... and secondly... join the club and let's all go rob a bank...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should put your nationality as POLISH. They usually have few qualifications, yet seem to get employment easily. Perhaps it's because they are happy to accept half-minimum-wage.

    ReplyDelete