Saturday 11 September 2010

The One Where She Makes MoooooSarka ka ka

Well, I actually did. Make Moussaka. And, furthermore I did it OUT OF MY HEAD - that is too say I didnt use a book not that I was, well.... you get the gist.  Gather round, here's what I did....

I cooked up some chopped onions and garlic in olive oil - added some (loads) of soya veggie mince - half a tube of tommy paste and weigh (sic) too much mixed herbs (TOP TIP - Herr Sainsbury has value pot of mixed herbs retailing at just 17 new pence!  - lack of care meant that I tipped half of the pot in this mince but hey its all good. The value herb mix is mostly oregano and thyme I think but it is perfect for this.)

Meanwhile...... (at the Bat Cave)   I sliced up an aubergine, another red onion some mushrooms and a big potato (made the potato slices very thin cos I wasnt sure how long I was going to cook this for...)

I fried the aubergine and the onion and mushrooms a little bit and then made a white sauce (melted butter, stir in someflour, cook it a bit, gradually add some milk and keep stirring until you have something like a sauce - add salt and white pep.  grated cheese.... - TOP TIP - stop the sauce getting a skin over the top by dribbling a bit of milk round the edge 

I then layered up everything in a deep cassorole dish (mine was an oval enamel roaster with lid) I started with the mince, then layered the aubergines etc finishing with the thinly sliced potatoes - then poured over the cheese sauce (oh nearly forgot at the last minute I cracked an egg into the sauce and stirred it in - hoping to make it go more moussakerey - it did)

If I had have got any I would have sprinkled the top of the sauce with paprika - could only find chilli powder though.

Put the lid on and put into hot oven - took the dog out for about an hour - it was perfect when I came back -
we had it with tomato black olive and basil salad. Yum Yum Yum

1 comment:

  1. forgot to say I added tin of toms to veggie mince as well and some veg. stock cube and a titchy bit of water ...

    ReplyDelete